Consider volunteering for this important role in the coming year. To sign up to be a room parent for this school year, please email our Room Parent Coordinator your full name, your cell phone number, your child’s name, and your child’s classroom assignment:
Room Parent Fall Responsibilities
- Meet with the teachers at the beginning of the school year.
- Introduce yourselves at the Open House as the room parents to the classroom parents and caregivers.
- Obtain the class list from the teacher with parent names and emails. Consult the Heath PTO online directory as needed and encourage families to update their information.
- Coordinate a class or parent gathering at the beginning of the school year. Past examples include a class or all-grade potluck at the park or a home, a nighttime parent gathering at a Brookline establishment, or meeting at Eliot Park for after-school pizza.
Room Parent Year-Long Responsibilities
- Coordinate coffee and breakfast treats for ONE of the Heath PTO’s community meetings.
- Assist teachers as needed in recruiting volunteers for field trips, in-class activities, etc.
- As directed, forward emails to your class from the PTO leadership and personalize if requested to do so.
- Check in with teacher periodically about classroom needs or help.
- Collect funds and coordinate the class gifts in the winter and spring.
- Communicate any new wish-lists the teachers may create for December and for Spring.
- Encourage classroom/teacher relations. Ideas may include recognizing Teacher Appreciation Week the first week in May, celebrating your teacher’s birthday or other festive activities.
- 1st grade helps the PTO host the Welcome Back BBQ in late September.
- 7th grade room parents host the 8th grade graduation reception.
- 8th grade room parents help to coordinate the communications necessary to support the 8th grade trip and graduation. Fundraising efforts are shared by parents and 8th grade students.
All School Room Parent Responsibilities
- Reach out to all specialists and Dr. Sevelius at the beginning of the school year to introduce yourselves.
- Introduce yourselves at the Open House as the all-school room parents.
- Assist front office, specialists and educators as needed in recruiting volunteers for activities, projects, etc.
- Aide communication for families through class specific communications from specialists or PTO leadership.
- Check in with specialists periodically about classroom needs or help.
- Coordinate with the PTO leadership about specialist gifts in the winter and spring.
- Coordinate, update, and promote the specialist wishlist at the start of the school year, and then again in the winter and spring or as requested by the specialists.
- Friday, September 30
- Friday, October 7
- Wednesday, October 12
- Friday, October 14
- Wednesday, November 9
- Tuesday, December 6
- Friday, December 9
- Wednesday, December 14
- Tuesday, January 10
- Friday, March 3
- Friday, March 10
- Tuesday, April 11
The 2022-2023 Heath Hawk Fund is open. Please consider making a donation today!
Why support your PTO?
The Heath Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) is a parent-run group that organizes and funds dozens of initiatives and enrichment programs for our children at Heath. Join other parents in helping make your child's school an excellent one!